June – National Safety Month: Recognizing Safety Milestones
1 Jun 2020
While June marks National Safety Month, safety is core to how The Doe Run Company (Doe Run) operates every day. Doe Run’s continued focus on safety helped several of its operations achieve safety milestones. As of early 2020, the following facilities achieved significant milestones with no lost-time accidents:
• 23 years at Sweetwater Mill
• 20 years at the Seafab Metals facility of Fabricated Products Inc. (FPI), a wholly owned subsidiary of Doe Run
• 16 years aboveground at Sweetwater Mine
• 14 years at the SEMO Port, the Missouri riverport where Doe Run ships its metal concentrates
• 13 years at Brushy Creek Mill
Companywide, Doe Run employees completed approximately 15,000 hours of training in 2019, including extensive health and safety training. Employees take an active role in recommending safety improvements across the company by participating in regular safety team meetings and completing ongoing training.
As part of Doe Run’s underground safety program, mine rescue teams regularly conduct training and compete in mine rescue competitions to keep their skills sharp and prepare them to help fellow miners in real-life situations.